This 1950's picture shows S.T.Hopper shop in it's original position in Straight Bargate. Note the Rolex sign and the Hoppers clock
Strait Bargate has seen many changes over the years, the main change is now of course it being pedestrianised. The traffic running through the centre of town is now a distant memory. The Hoppers shop was part of a lovely building which is still there today and now one large shop, Clarks Shoes.
S.T Hopper Jewellers as it was, next to W. Mason & Son (now Clarks Shoes). Circa 1955
Some old classic buildings have disappeared over the years sadly. For one, the Red Lion Pub which was located just a couple of buildings up from the Hoppers shop. It was later in life demolished and many years on became the location of Woolworths, the place to go every Saturday morning! Now of course Woolworth's is also a shop of the past and the QD Store has taken its place.
The view along Straight Bargate. Late 1950's with the Red Lion Pub on the left
This picture taken in the 1960's shows that whatever the weather, rain or snow, Hoppers was always (and always will be) open for business!
Mid 1960's on a snowy day, Stanley Hopper shown standing in his doorway. Note the Currys shop next door selling bicycles in their top window display
The final picture in this Memory Lane update shows Strait Bargate as it is today (November 2013)